Lunes, Nobyembre 12, 2012

The American who stole the Bul-ol Rice God and the curse befell on his forebears

From the oral account of Carlito Aspiras of Agoo, La Union.

My grandfather who whose ancestors came from the mountain tribe Igorot told me this story.

He has an American  friend, a pioneer  Thomasite teachers assigned in the Mountain Province in the early 1900's.

When my grandfather and the American visited the rice terraces, the American was amazed at the Bul-ol sculptures that guarded  most of the rice fields of the terraces.He got interested on it and told my grandfather to buy one of them, especially the biggest one that was sculpted in sitting position with both hands rested on his knees in bridging position.

My grandfather told him that it was sacred image, an heirloom  of the tribe and could not be sold nor given to anyone.

But his friend was interested and has other plan on the Rice God.

Before the American returned to Baguio, he stole the Rice God. the tribe learned this and the man was cursed. "I'm  sad, said my grandfather. "I could have sculpted a new one, a replica of the sacred image then I will give it to him. but he choose to steal it."

My grandfather said the course never happened on his friend but on the future  generations of his forebears.

 His famous forebears who died with the course of the Rice God was a popular American president, told my grandfather.








Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento