Sabado, Marso 31, 2012

Bleeding-heart pigeon mysterious appearance at Nonoc tree

In our village, there was a large Nonoc tree also known as balete tree. It was a huge tree with a hollow center. At its center there was a lagoon that was  connected to an underground spring.

When the tree bore fruits on its season, various types of bird flocked to the tree and consumed its fruits. I always waited this  fruiting season to hunt birds that foraged on its fruits.I stayed below the tree armed with an air gun.

One day, while I'm tying the sack where my catch of birds was held, a flock of pigeon arrived. they happily ate the fruits of the tree. So I decided not to go home and prepared to shoot the birds.

One of the pigeon I spotted was bleeding at its breast.Its breast was full of blood. I thought it was hit already by another hunter. It was big and beautiful so I decided to shoot it. but I only hit the bird on its wing and immediately it flew away leaving the flock.

The next day I could not move my right hand. It was swollen and too painful to move.
The shaman diagnosed my ailment as a punishment of the supernatural tamawo to me for I had shot and wounded his pet pigeon.He said that if I had killed his pet, surely I will die too.

To appease him the shaman performed rituals at the tree to appease the the tamawo. We also offered unsalted foods and meat at the tree.

Later I was cured. After that, I never hunted birds anymore.

From the oral account of Filomeno Orquiola of Tapaz, Capiz

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento